Prerequisite: Obedience 3, Adult dogs 1 year old and over
Class Duration: 6 Weeks
Instructor: Kim Watson
Class Description: This is an excellent class for you and your dog to continue working on advanced level obedience skills. Along with advanced level obedience this class will focus on the skills needed to perform in the Dog Sport of Competition Obedience.
There are 3 levels of competition in Obedience: Novice, Open, and Utility.
- Novice: Dogs in this class need to demonstrate good companion skills such as coming when called, standing for an examination, staying in both a sit and down position with a group of other dogs, and heeling both on and off-leash
- Open: Dogs in this class need to perform all of the exercises off-leash. In addition to some of the exercises performed in Novice, retrieving and jumping exercises are included
- Utility: Dogs in this class have added challenges including directed jumping (the dog must jump over a specified hurdle) and scent discrimination (the dog must find and pick up from a pile of dumbbells, referred to as articles, the one dumbbell with the handler’s scent). Other exercises must be performed with the handler giving hand signals only.
This class will pay special attention to your dog’s obedience proficiency and advancement in Competition Obedience along with introducing the Dog Sport of Agility, Rally, and Fit Paws. Conditioning.
For more information on the Dog Sport of Obedience Competitions visit Dog Obedience Competition 101: How Obedience Works (akc.org)
Obedience Commands Continued Introduced in this class:
- Reliable Long Recall
- Stand for Exam
- Controlled Reliable Sit & Down in a Group of Other Dogs
- On & Off Leash Heeling
- On & Off Leash Figure 8’s
- Jumping Exercises
- Dumbbell Holds & Outs
- Dumbbell Retrieving
- Directed Jumping
- Scent Discrimination
- Rally Signs
- Agility Equipment
- Fit Paws Equipment
How to Prepare:
- Wear comfortable shoes/sneakers, (no open toed shoes/sandals)
- Don’t feed your dog for a few hours before class, this will keep him food motivated it will also prevent unwanted car sickness
- Puppies can have half of their normal meal the morning of class and finish when they get back home
- Potty your dog, before class, in the designated areas
What to Bring:
- Flat Buckle or Snap Collar
- 6’ leash, (no Flexi-leads)
- High Value Dog Treats (treats your dog really loves)
- Poop bags for cleaning up after your dog
- Long Line
- Scent Articles
- Dumb Bells
- All adult dogs are required to have a Rabies Vaccination. Please bring a copy of your Rabies Certificate to your first class.